Hello, summer! This strawberry rhubarb jam canning recipe is easy to make and is such a sunny-tasting treat.
Download the printable Strawberry Rhubarb Jam Canning Recipe here!
You can watch me make this and many other recipes on my IGTV channel here.
You will need
1 lb rhubarb chopped- about 4 cups
1 lb strawberries, washed and hulled
2 cups sugar
2 lemons, squeezed (fresh are fine)
2 boxes powdered or 2 packets liquid pectin
1. Combine strawberries and 1 cup of sugar, and layer on top the rhubarb and the second cup of sugar. Let sit for an hour or more, while you prepare you canner.
2. Prepare your water bath canning pot or your steam canner. Fill the water bath canning pot with water, add 5 pint (2 measuring cups total each) jars, and bring to a boil OR fill the steam canner to fill line and turn on low with the 5 pint jars nearby on a towel-covered counter top.
3. Combine strawberries, rhubarb, and lemon juice and simmer together in a preserving pan (a heavy bottomed, wide pan) and stir occasionally for 15-20 minutes.
4. Optional: Remove from heat and ladle into a food mill. Process jam through for a super smooth jam.
5. Return to a boil and whisk in pectin, a little at a time, quickly. Liquid pectin is especially easy if you chose to leave your jam whole-fruit.
6. Ladle into jars one at a time, apply lids and rings, and either submerge into the boiling water of the boiling water bath with a jar lifter OR set gently on the rack of the steam canner.
7. Process for 15 minutes PLUS 5 minutes for every 1000 ft above sea level. Remove from heat, rest jars carefully on towel covered countertop. Label cooled jars and store for up to 1 year.
NOTE: I omitted the pectin and made a loose, soft jam that’s doubling as a pie fill. I plan on filling sourdough doughnuts with it for a sweet and sour treat.
Learn more at www.startcanning.com
If you loved this strawberry rhubarb canning recipe, you’ll love this Canning Strawberries Recipe Book!